Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Visions of Sugar Plums. Or Some Such Nonsense.

Today would have been my dad's 86th birthday. I'm really missing him, and my mom as well, especially since she was the Queen of making the holidays totally AWESOME (and I'm so not). Yeah, yeah. I'm feeling the usual sense of loss and grief that comes with missing my family this time of year. No surprises there right? But to be honest, it's never been a particularly joyful time for me, even when they were alive. I've always had these little-girl-like sugar plum visions for a Norman Rockwell-esque holiday, but most of the time it was more like The Simpsons. That said, I still manage to have many fond memories of a zillion wondrous and magical Christmas mornings (thanks Mom, I know that was ALL your doing).

Before I get too morose, let's just say it's that super special time of year when I get all wistful for my Christmas Past. Wait. How did I get on the subject of Christmas anyway? Oy. Anyhoo, I went poking around in my office closet earlier today and I found some old, and not so terrible, pictures where we actually look like a (kinda) happy family.

My dad and I may not always have seen eye to eye, but he was still my hero and I was cuckoo crazy about him. I hope somehow he knows that now. Happy birthday dad. I miss you.


Mom, Dad and Me (vacation in FL circa 1983/84)

Xmas in CA (Dad, Brother Bri, Mom and Me circa 1994)














Dad and Me - Sept 1972





















Dad and Grandpa 1925


No comments: