Tuesday, January 22, 2008

R.I.P. Heath?

Another celebrity takes too many drugs and dies. Accidentally or on purpose? Does it matter? The news media then glorifies it and talks about it ad nausea for days (or weeks) upon end, and we all gasp in horror, glued to the telly, caught up in the drama of it all.

Are you kidding me?

This is news? This, this story of human stupidity is MORE important than what our government is doing, or what the stock market is doing, how our economy is doing, or the "war" on terror???!!

Frankly, I'm far more saddened by the fact that yet another little girl (Heath's daughter) is left w/o a daddy because of drugs or alcohol. I'm sad that her mother is going to have to explain that concept to an innocent three year old. I'm sad that Heath's family and friends are left with the wreckage of his choices (intentional or not). I'm sad that there are myriad of people in this country that think we've lost some great human being (he was 28 for crying out loud, who knows what he could have been?)... What about all the NON celebrities that succumb to their addictions every single day, who is standing outside of their homes asking these "poignant" questions about "why" or "how"? Where is THEIR news coverage?

I'm irritated that the news media doesn't think we're smart enough to make our own conclusions about this chapter in human tragedy. I'm irritated that they think we need them to speculate about what really happened. I'm irritated that they open their big fat mouths before they know all the facts, reporting erroneous and often downright WRONG information. I'm sad that the Collective swallows it hook, line and sinker.

Listen up. We have far more serious problems in this country than another celebrity aspirating on his own drug or alcohol infused vomit. We are on the verge of a recession(depression). We are at war. The banking industry has made bad investments in the subprime lending business and the Bush Administration wants to bail them out! Whatever happened to accountability for the actions of business? Our government has literally been hijacking our very democracy on free trade agreements, foreign good imports, foreign oil, and just blatant wastefulness in general. They are pissing away the very things that made this country strong and great, and for what? Because we want more stuff to consume?

George Carlin was right about "stuff" man. It's just stuff. Give it up.

But I digress.

Certainly, I hope Mr. Ledger is no longer in "pain".... whatever his pain may have been. But mostly, I will be lifting that baby girl of his up in prayer & into G-d's hands b/c she (and Heath's immediate family) is going to need some serious comfort on this man. Meanwhile I'll not waste another minute trying to figure out "why" Heath is dead or how he could have been "saved". I (WE) have bigger fish to fry.

Your ever faithful Eye Roller -
C ~

No comments: