Friday, May 9, 2008

Goodbye Austin, for now.

Tomorrow we leave to go back home to CA... Frankly, I'm relieved, but I'll miss being here too. It's been nice to be away from the Koo-Koo Crazy that is Southern CA. Austin really is such a cool town & there are so many wonderful things to do, very few of which are available in a megopolis like Los Angeles County.

I've been charmed by the little things, like frogs, bluejays, lizards & most especially fireflies (we don't have those in CA) & the big stuff too (e.g. the Austin capitol building is truly spectacular to see - day or night). As humid as it is, and as hot as it is, there is also something very sexy & relaxing about sitting outside in this balmy air w/ a cold beverage in the early evening while your kid plays in the tall grass.

I know that this is the kind of town I want to raise my kid. Is Austin THE town? I have no idea, maybe not - at least, not right now given the obstacles we've encountered trying to find a house during our last two trips out here.

So, it's back to square one. Go home, get better, do more homework, chill, etc.

Meanwhile, last night here. Trying to decide what we can do for some last little bits of fun. Maybe take a walk on South Congress Ave & get some delish Red Velvet cupcakes at Hey Cupcake!? Or perhaps go downtown & wait for the bats to emerge from the Congress Ave. bridge? Or hit Sandy's for some frozen custard? Or back to "the Hill" in Zilker to watch the young peeps dancing and hula-hooping to techno? Maybe we'll just walk around this neighborhood (Bouldin) & see the lady around the corner who has a flock of Bantam hens running around in her front yard? Or one last feast at Torchy's Tacos (see photo) on South 1st & El Paso?

Decisions, decisions.

That's all from Texas y'all. Unless I catch a break before we bail out on @jetBlue tomorrow (how totally twitter of me).

P.S. A note about the past few posts, I've been in a BAD place for quite some time. And yes, I'm resentful about a lot of things. But lest anyone think I'm holding certain people 100% responsible for where I'm at, let me make it really clear that I'm so NOT. This is totally about me & the fact that I need to get MY shit straight. There is no one to blame, or point fingers at. It is what it is, and a lot of the reasons why have everything to do w/ me & my craziness, not their attempts (or lack thereof) to hang in there & ride it out. I don't say that to be self-depricating. Nor am I going to take on more of the blame than I deserve; there were afterall two people participating in the dance. I just want to acknowledge however that the common denominator in all my failed relationships is ... me. And I can't ignore the weight of that.

No comments: