Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Social networking, micro-blogging, w00t!

Okay, I don't know how the folks at MySpace can be so unaware of the revolution going on right now. And I don't just mean the people USING it, I mean the people running the company. Their site has ALWAYS sucked (& I've been on it a long time, so I know of what I speak) but blatantly copying FB & then totally missing the boat on making it WORK?

Tom? You suck.

I stay away from such convoluted & cumbersome sites more & more. They don't work well on mobile platforms. They are tired. They are so 2003.

I've become increasingly infatuated w/ sites like twitter, FriendFeed, del.icio.us, Blogger of course, goodreads, twhirl, Flickr, etc. I'm sure I'm even a little behind finding all this new "wonder" on the web, but who cares? It's fun & I'm digging it.

See, the cool thing is that I can tweet & still have a semblance of life. Please note, I said semblance. I realize that it would be far better to go outside and play in the Real World.

So yes, it sucks me in. But unlike MySpace I don't spend hours flitting about reading inane crap written by 12 year olds. Nor am I stuck at a desktop keyboard. I can take twitter with me anywhere I go. Yay iPhone, yay m.twitter.

Even better? Most of the people I follow on twitter actually know how to spell & write well. They are funny too. It's like a breath of fresh, clean, beautiful, pre-Reagan era air.

Can I get an amen? Amen!

The end. It's past my bed time. Must retire to my usual night of sleeplessness, tossing & turning. Cheery bye.

3 comments:

Naomi from IttyBiz said...

The thing I dig about the microblogging platforms is that I can walk away. With FB et al, I am mesmerized. Twitter has a mental off button, but Flickr? Nay. Can't do it. Must. Keep. Clicking. It's a sickness, really.

Cheryl R. said...

Totally! :-)

Naomi from IttyBiz said...

The thing I dig about the microblogging platforms is that I can walk away. With FB et al, I am mesmerized. Twitter has a mental off button, but Flickr? Nay. Can't do it. Must. Keep. Clicking. It's a sickness, really.